So a few days ago my mom finds this little kitten in our neighbor's backyard--actually, my mom and our neighbor found her together, as it was cowering from the neighbor's rottweiler.
Mom told me the kitten had some blood in its urine, so I told her she should take it to the vet. Mom takes her the hospital the next morning because when she checks on her, the kitten is hardly breathing. Mom told me that cats are supposed to have something like 200 electrolytes and the kitten had less than 20, so she was on the brink of death due to dehydration and hypothermia. The vets warmed her and fed her, and gave her back to Mom, at the cost of around $200. So it was assumed that the kitten was going to be okay, but on Saturday night, when I went with Emiko and Mandy to visit (and see the kitten, which I had not yet seen), Mom was leaving with the kitten in tow, as she'd had a relapse and was again hardly breathing.
The hospital wants another $150 to save the kitten again, but they don't even know what's wrong and she might die anyway. Mom decides the best course for the kitten would be to sign her over to the hospital, so they adopt her, and her medical bills become the hospital's responsibility. But she wants to make sure the kitten isn't euthanized and that she's taken care of. Veterinary people are very surly to her. Mom spends the whole day crying because she fears for the kitten and doesn't know if we'll see her again (I only glimpsed her, but she is very tiny and fluffy and cute). -_-
Right now, the neighbor is planning to try to adopt the kitten from the hospital (and she wants to pay the medical bills), but one of her kids doesn't want the cat (little punk), so if she's even able to adopt it she may give it to us...but the animal hospital is apparently not being too pleasant about the whole affair. Urgh. Poor tiny kitten. -_-
After I posted that, I called mom for any kitten-related news... They were being surly to her because one of the nurses had decided to adopt the kitten, but the hospital folks were too cowardly to tell us that in the first place. Mom was pissed, so she called our regular vet, who said he was the president of the company that owns the hospital (it's the one on Forest Hill). Soo, he took care of it, and told Mom to call him personally if the kitten relapses again. Now it is at home and Mom is feeding her every two hours so she can gain some weight and get her strength back...
But she needs a name. Mom rejected Lucky; she says it's a boy's name :B; She wanted to call it Princess, but I was like, no... so we're thinking of Sabrina now.
Though we may not keep her... it doesn't seem like Dad's too big on another cat. XB But I just hope she's safe and that she doesn't relapse again. ._.